Opihi Field Trip

Hi, it’s hmsjenny here, today I am going to talk about the Opihi Field Trip that we had at school.

The Opihi is about studying the intertidal and the algae. We went to Sand Island, there was a lot of rocks and we only went knee deep. Some of us went a little more because we had to. We are separated into 6 different groups. I was with David and Ryden. I was the data recorder, Ryden was the data collecter, and David was wave watcher. Ryden was going too fast I couldn’t really keep up because I had to erase a lot of things. It was really fun and tiring because we had to make sure not to fall into the water and get cuts.

We struggled the first few minutes because everyone took the long tape measures and we got the last pick, but it only went up the 17 meters. So we got two tape measures. We found different types of algae, but there was a lot of the same ones. David went on the sand because he had a cut and it stung, so it was just me and Ryden. We needed help so we called Shayann over to help us. We didn’t finish on time because we didn’t have enough supplies. Most of the other groups finished, but some groups didn’t finish too. We had to leave and we got on the bus. I was uncomfortable because my pants were wet and the seat would be wet too.

We made it back to school. We had to wash the supplies and our reef shoes. Then, we got to wear slippers for a while and ate snacks. There was Gogo Squeez and Rice Krispy. Then, we got to take a shower in the girl’s locker room, I felt really refreshed. We reviewed what we got on our data sheets when we returned to class. My group couldn’t really understand the second sheet because it has blanks spot and spot that are filled in. Have you ever been to the intertidal?

Well, that’s all for today, bye

hmsjenny